Presented biennially to an acclaimed musician whose accomplishments have greatly
increased the world-wide appreciation of classical guitar
La Guitarra California is proud to dedicate the 2017 Festival to the American Maestro Christopher Parkening. On Opening Night, the Festival will present this award to Maestro Parkening, followed by a short recital with renowned baritone, Jubilant Sykes.
This exquisite sculpture, commissioned specifically for the award, was designed and hand-crafted by internationally renowned local silversmith Randy Stromsoe. Composed of pewter and a rosewood accent, he has brilliantly abstracted the familiar shape of the classical guitar.
Mr. Stromsoe's body of work spans four decades and he is highly sought after by corporate and private collectors worldwide. He has received commissions from The White House, The Vatican, and the US State Department, and has created works for Special Commissions and Collections such as:
• MCI Collection for the Renwick Gallery - permanent collection.
• The Oakland Museum - permanent collection.
• White House Collection of American Craft - permanent collection.
• Archdiocese of Los Angeles, Papal Visit of Pope John Paul II, 1987.
• US State Department, International Presidential Gifts: 1983, 1984, 1985.
• The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, presented to:
Mayor Jacque Chirac, Paris France
King Hussein, Jordan
Prime Minister Spadolini, Italy
King Olaf, Norway
Helmut Schmidt, West Germany
The La Guitarra Lifetime Achievement Award will remain on permanent public display in the lower lobby of the Cohan Center at the Performing Arts Center, San Luis Obispo.
Award sponsors: Neal & Susan Poteet, Thom Brajkovich, Randall & Carol Tognazzini and Jeff Bright
To receive a Festival brochure click "Contact" and give your name and mailing address